All through the sermon preparation, the Lord kept convicting me of how often I put the creation in the place of the Creator. I constantly look for my sense of worth from what people say or how they respond to me. Of course these responses will be important to me, but they shouldn’t have so much impact on how I feel about myself. Although it’s not enjoyable, I experience God’s love every time He roots out one of these idols.
How to pray for FBC
Please pray for our Children’s Ministry. Pray that the transition to Rebecca goes smoothly. Pray also that they find all the teachers and helpers they need for the ministry.
How to pray for our Community
Pray for the 21:5 projects that are launching this week. Specifically, pray that needs are met and that people are drawn to Christ through them.
How to pray for our World
Steve Vance will lead a time of prayer for Muslim outreach this Sunday. It will take place in Classroom 118 during the Life Group time. This will include important information about the Muslim world, including the growing Muslim community in Longview. Please join him for a time of prayer for efforts to reach the Muslim world.
Let’s start now and pray for the FBC missionaries already engaged in Muslim countries.
SPEAKING OF 21:5
I am excited by the desire of so many FBCers to impact our community. Please stop by the Outreach Desk and visit Steve Vance about what is going on.
Projects that you can participate in right now…
Ministry to Those without Jesus
• Muslim Outreach Prayer Time. We have a mosque in Longview. Join Steve for a time of information and prayer. He will be in Classroom 118 during Life Group hour. It will help Steve if you sign up in advance HERE. Please come even if you forget to sign up.
Ministry to Orphans
• Camp Gilmont – August 18 | All Day | Morning & Afternoon Shifts
This is a ministry to families involved with Buckner’s Orphan care.
- Point person: Steve Vance: email@example.com
- Families & individuals are encouraged to participate with Buckner families during camp activities and meals.
- May sign up for one or both shifts
- A signed participation agreement will be necessary
- You will need to provide your email address
• Buckner Box: Toiletries – Bring full size toiletries for their clients. Bring your items to church on Sunday. There is a collection box in the Lobby. Items needed: Toothpaste, toothbrush, soap or body wash, shampoo, conditioner, razors, shaving cream, deodorant for men and women, dental floss, HE liquid laundry detergent
Legacy. Legacy is FBC’s ministry supporting orphan care and adoption. We have collection boxes in the Lobby for…
- Clothing drive for Boys and Girls clothing
- Purchase new: Socks, Underwear, Pajamas (all sizes and both boy and girl)
- New and Gently Used clothing of any kind for all kids, but especially infant to 12 months
- Diapers (size 3-4-5) and wipes
- Duffels, backpacks and totes (for the kids to carry their clothes)
Ministry to Those in Need
• LIHN Towel Drive – Longview Interfaith Hospitality Network ministers to homeless families in the area. FBC is heavily involved. LIHN needs 40 new, white towels. There is a collection box in the Lobby.
• LIHN Training – FBC regularly hosts homeless families at the church for a week at a time. This requires a lot of volunteers. To volunteer, you need to go through a short training class. To make it easy, we will provide the class during Life Group hour. Actually, we will do this more than once, in case you can’t attend the first time. It will help the trainer know how many are coming. You can sign up HERE.
• Beds of Hope Ministry – This ministry provides beds to needy children. They need new twin sheets and pillows. We have a collection spot in the Lobby.
Bring your items soon! We will have these collection sites up in the Lobby through August 12. After that, we will replace them with new projects.