Fellowship Focus Newsletter
This year’s theme is Wholehearted Faith. The more we know God, the more our loves, desires, and values are shaped by him. That is one of the key insights of 1 John.
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. [1 John 4:11 (ESV)]
I referenced this verse during the first sermon in the Light and Love series. It is what John 3:16 looks like in action in a church.
I downplay the word ought. I ought to eat better, but I don’t think twice about ordering fries at Jucy’s. The word translated ought means to owe something. It is to have an obligation that would be morally wrong to ignore. That is how important it to love one is another. How do we love one another? The way God loved us. That is what John describes right before verse 11.
9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
The Father sent his Son so that we might live. The Father sent his Son when we did not love him. He sent his Son simply because he loved us.
We love one another when we seek each other’s best and want to be in relationship with each other. That is what God’s love for us looks like. He sacrificially pursued a relationship with us when we did not love him. He offered us life when we were spiritually dead. We ought to love one another the same way. The obligation comes not because the other person deserves this love. We didn’t deserve it. The obligation comes because we are loved by God.
WOW – World Outreach Weekend 2018
Come join us for World Outreach Weekend on February 23-25, 2018! We will be celebrating the diversity in the body of Christ as we explore Revelation 7:9-10.
- Dessert Night: Missionaries will share their individual stories and Ministries. Friday evening, February 23, at 7 PM in the Adult Education building.
- Men’s Breakfast: Come listen as some of our missionary men share their stories from every tribe and every nation! Saturday morning, February 24, at 8 AM in the Adult Education building.
- Women’s Brunch: Come listen as some of our missionary ladies share their stories from every tribe and every nation! Saturday Morning, February 24, at 10 AM in the Administration building Great Room.
- Youth night: Come join the youth for a night of fellowship with a group of our missionaries! Saturday evening, February 24, at 6 PM in The Loft.
- Life Groups: Our missionaries will be joining us to share during our Life Groups. Come hear what God is doing in every tribe and every nation around the globe. Sunday morning, February 25, at 9 AM in The Loft, The Treehouse, and the Adult Education building.
- Corporate Worship: We will be hearing some of our missionaries share about how God is reaching every tribe, every tongue, and every nation on Sunday morning, at 10:30 AM on February 25 in the Worship Center. Come join us as together we say, “Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
Notes of Gratitude
Fellowship Bible Church
The flowers you sent to my sister during her time of sickness and hospitalizations and last days at home were greatly appreciated. They are still lovely and we continue to enjoy them.
The love shown to us at this time is heartwarming and remains so. Our extended family appreciated so much the time together at the lovely meal and room to visit each other.
Sincerely in Christ,
Mary Ruth Hastie
Dear Fellowship Church body and friends
We want to thank you for the gift you sent for Christmas and for your blessing us at this time of year as you have done so many times in the past. We also thank you for the cards and letters of affirmation and greeting sent by the church body to encourage and uplift us. I remember so very well the first time we received a packet of Christmas greetings in the mail — it was in Costa Rica in 1992 and I remember sitting on the floor in our little post office room reading through the letters and crying tears of sadness at being away from home overseas for our first Christmas and yet what a feeling of all God had done to bring us to that place through the support of so many. Just the fact of you remembering us at Christmas has been a very special blessing to us over the years. Thank you so much!
We are looking forward to our return to Papua New Guinea in a few months for the next translation session of the new Ireland languages. We look forward to seeing our friends and the progress they have made since we were last there.
Thank you again for your Christmas gift.
With Love — Bruce and Jenny Hansen
Dear members of Fellowship Bible Church,
We do not often have the opportunity to thank you for the support you so faithfully send to us each month.
We are grateful for your sacrifice and generosity in supporting our ministry overseas. Thank you also for your prayer for us. We could not be overseas without your prayers and your financial support.
Don & Karen Taber